Saturday, September 8, 2012

Is the Government spying on people who watch youtube?

So, I was watching youtube, after hearing several horror stories about youtube bandwith being throttled by certain ISP's in America, from forums and such. So I decided to search on youtube to find out if someone had posted a video about it. Well I did. This video, was done by the author of the video I found which proved that certain ISPS are throttling youtube, through a hidden file that only can be accessed in windows explorer if you turn the "show all system files" feature in folder options on, not the "show hidden files" feature, mind you. This folder called "Content.IE5" is super hidden, and found on any machine that the main user uses IE as a default browser. It contains among other things, cache files from any site you visited, html files from sites you visit, but what really scared me, is that it also contains screenshots and in some cases, copied .flv files of certain youtube videos, taken of certain, but not all youtube videos you watch.

The person who did the above video, mentioned how he found this folder on his PC during a defragging and found the hidden folder with copied .flv files  of conspiracy theorist type video's only, but not other videos he had watched.  So he surmised IE has a secret system that was being used to spy on people by the government to find anti government types. I don't know if that's true, but if IE is in fact taking screenshots of certain youtube video's and not others, then it is a bad thing for everyone who still uses that really badly designed browser. So I decided to see for myself what would happen If I purposely browsed in IE on youtube for a 2 day test.

Since I didn't want to get hit with a nasty virus, I knew I would have to sandbox IE, like I do to any browser. I use Sandboxie on all my browsers due to nasty virus attacks I have gotten 2 times in the last 4 years on my PC, both unclean able by Antivirus products and both completely devastating my PC.  It's the only way to really prevent a virus attack these days. Antivirus software really sucks and doesn't prevent stuff at all due to many people on youtube reviewing them (look up mrizos on youtube), and finding out how much virus attacks they do not block. So I sandboxed my browser. But the other reason I sandboxed it was that sandboxie forces IE to put this folder in a plainly visible part of the sandbox I can freely copy to any part of my PC later. So after I was finished with youtube, I could simply just copy the folder "Content.IE5" to another folder and view that in Windows Explorer like the video I saw on youtube did.

So I started yesterday browsing youtube and other sites in a sandboxed IE session to see what youtube would be screenshoted to my Content.IE5 folder. What I found would shock me. I browsed a whole bunch of video's, from video game walkthroughs, to politcal type videos, which fit into 2 topics, anti-censorship, and anti-violent games BS. The anti-censorship videos mainly dealt with the TPP treaty I wrote about in my previous article. The anti-violent game BS  stuff were just video's posted by gamers, in a VBLOG format talking about how the whole link between violent games and violent crimes is utter BS. There is a lot of that on youtube, apparently. So I finished watching the videos and went back to my browser of choice, Chrome last night and posted some more blogs here. But before I went to bed I examined the content.ie5 folder I had copied out of my sandbox. What it showed is that screenshots of the video game playthroughs and the Anti-TPP videos were taken, at certain intervals. Simply excusing this as cache images of the video thumbnails doesn't add up, because multiple video's of one particular anti-TPP video made by a Japanese business man were found, and I knew right away that they were not thumbnails, more like regular screenshots taken by whatever program was taking them.

Strangely, absolutely none of the anti-video game violence videos were screenshotted at all, but the pictures from a descent 2 walkthrough were. It didn't make sense to me. But then I remembered what the video I watched earlier that got me into this said, it was mostly anti-government stuff that got screenshotted. So then it hit me. Something on my PC was somehow taking screenshots of certain video's that could be seen as a threat to the government or any legislation the public could oppose greatly, such as TPP, at least that's what I was thinking when I viewed these images that were in the subfolders of Content.IE5.



Now to prove that these screenshots have a ton taken of Anti-TPP video's being played, do a search on youtube for any video about the Trans-Pacific Partnership, and you will get many video's that these screenshots came from. It seems like tons of video's that attacked the TPP got multiple screenshots taken of them but other video's I watched before attacking violent games censorship and ones saying violent games do not make people violent did not.

But the truth gets even scarier when you see what it screenshotted today. I decided to continue my IE test after clearing the sandbox so that the images above would not be copied to the new folder, then logged into youtube in IE sandboxed, and decided to completely watch a different type of video, rant videos made by gamers, ranting about violent games being linked to real crimes, like Columbine, the V-tech shooter, the Norway shooter, and the Aurora Shooter, all by the media. I watched a good 10 different video's, some really badly done, some really well done. Yet only one video uploaders video's were screenshotted, the one who was the most cynical and humorous by far, someone who happened to be Australian. This guys video seen here is what was captured, and other videos I watched by him were also captured. But the only thing is that only his videos were screenshotted, not the other 10 or so  I watched before. The thing is that the screenshot capturing done by whatever was doing it was logging his video's and no one elses. Now in australia there has been the biggest BS about violent games out of any country. Games over there if not good enough for the censors, they got banned, at least until the new law legalizing R18+ ratings went through. There has been a lot of morons in their government Bullshitting about how violent games cause crime, blah, blah, blah, including a certain former Parliment member who like a certain internet troll seen on gamepolitics, made it no secret that he thought gamers are shitheads, druggies, etc. So the bias against violent games, their companies, and the people who play them is really strong over there in the government, at least certain right wing groups, christian lobby, blah, blah, blah.  Another video screenshotted in the following videos shows another video game violence BS debunking done by a guy with long hair and a hat, which is also quite vulgar at times but makes the damn point it was meant to, which is all that counts. Somehow the screenshotter, which is unnkown to me what program it actually is, is screenshotting these video's as well. So it's screenshotting video game playthroughs of certain games but not others, but is screenshotting tons of Anti-TPP video's, and certain videos attacking attacks made against violent games by youtube content providers, but not all of them. Go figure. Here are the screenshots that were taken today to show I am not making this up:







As you can see, certain screenshots are quite mundane and can be debunked as cached images, but the sheer amount of anti-gaming BS and anti-censorship video's are quite high in these...  Now I cannot rule out the posibility my PC is Infected, allthough multiple Antivirus scans show nothing on the PC. However, this is quite scary to people who don't want their privacy violated. Who knows what is being done with these screenshots. Another video made by the person who discovered this on youtube, suggested that youtube bandwidth throttling and snooping on email accounts from free email services like yahoo mail and gmail was being done through other files in this folder. Since I would never trust the swiss cheeze that is IE to log in to my email account, I didn't even test that, even in a sandbox. It's quite scary how certain programs may be used to watch people who certain members of the government may think are a threat. You simply are not secure anymore online. I highly suggest that people sandbox their browsers, switch from IE, due to it's virus problems at the very least, install chrome instead and make sure that they visit sites like yahoo mail, or any other site that requires a log in and password with HTTPS enabled. You can download a free plugin called HTTPS enforcer to do that, and firefox users can use another plugin called HTTPS everywhere to automate this. It will help people stay anonymous online because HTTPS enables encrypted connections to every site that can use it if it uses it at all, and if TPP does pass this is at least a temporary solution to prevent "Deep packet Inspection" from being abused to sniff your data by ISPS who would give it to the government, incase data like that gets abused to arrest people for fraudulent reasons.